Problems with FC6T1

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Jul 29 19:34:04 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 12:58:08PM -0500, David D. Hagood wrote:
> ... and then decide
> that since there are conflicts due to some subset of the packages, throw
> all that work away

Change 'keepcache=0' in your /etc/yum.conf to 'keepcache=1' and
that, at least, will not remove all what you retrieved so far.
This will give you what is described as a default in 'man yum.conf'.
Dumping caches at the slightest provocation is trully maddenning
when your connection is somewhat worse than T1.  OTOH then you have
to make sure yourself that these caches will not grow too big over
time.

> rather than simply removing the offending packages
> from the transaction set until we have a consistent transaction set and
> doing the install of whatever will work."

It seems that yum indeed has enough information to behave in such
way, or at least to have an option to turn on such behaviour.
Unfortunately it is not doing this.  Still there are scripts which
allow to achieve that goal and location of some of these was
mentioned on this list a number of times.  Basically you try to
update possible candidates one by one instead of all of them at the
same time. 'keepcache=1' is actually helpful here.

   Michal