Athlon processors, development kernel, no cpu frequency control

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Jun 6 12:42:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 12:40:15PM +0300, Filip Tsachev wrote:
 > Hello,
 >
 > On 03/06/06, Jim Cornette <fct-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
 > >The cpu scaling is a highly desired feature.

that should be fixed in todays rawhide btw.

 > As it saves power consuption, is it possible to see the following line
 > in newer kernel's config?
 >
 > CONFIG_X86_CPUFREQ_NFORCE2=m

that driver is still really experimental, and given there's already
more wierdo bugs that I can't make head nor tail of in bugzilla,
adding something that potentially introduces instability isn't a good idea.

 > Dave, would you mind to comment regarding the issue with AMD XP-M, is
 > it possible to be made "=m" default.

not without adding complexity to the startup scripts to pick the right driver.
By having them non-modular the right one gets picked automatically as
the kernel tries the init routine for each.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk