What about LaTeX in FC6?

Jose' Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Thu Jun 8 08:07:30 UTC 2006

On Thursday 08 June 2006 04:37, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> It probably raises a PM coordination issue if one has packages installed
> from an official FC repo as well as from CTAN directly, but I suspect
> this would be a technical hurdle that could be overcome in time.
>
> This solution seems intriguing, but I suspect there will be a lot of
> discussion with the TeX community before some form of distro agnostic
> solution is proffered. FC7 might be a reasonable target relative to
> timelines...

  I see CTAN the same way I see CPAN (perl) or CRAN (R). What we have been
doing till now is to distribute those packages separately. We have some
additional constraints that they don't have, for one we usually check the
license while as far as I know that is not done by default for the native PM.
(I may be wrong here.)

  Then there is the tension from the developers of that tools saying us to
abandon our PM and use theirs instead. I am not convinced that is the best
solution. With all its faults I still prefer a generic solution like rpm with
a strong policy over it that to have to download the same packages all over
again like those systems propose.

--
José Abílio