Fedora Test Project

Miles Lane miles.lane at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 19:19:45 UTC 2006

When I worked at Microsoft, I ran stress and functionality test suites
every night on new Windows NT builds.  The cool thing about the
process was the level of automation and the use of remote debugging by
developers.  The way it worked was that testers would have a debugging
machine attached to the test machine via a serial cable.  The
debugging machine had all the kernel and application symbols
downloaded.  Whenever an application or the kernel crashed or reported
errors, the debuggin machine would load the needed symbols and dump
the stacktrace.  Then, the tester could perform some preliminary
debugging, and locate the associated developer.  Then the developer
would attack to the debegging machine over an internet connection and
debug the client.  If I recall correctly, the debugging machine would
automatically submit a summary of any problems via e-mail, so
developers could attach and debug without testers intervening.
Obviously, this requires testers who can dedicate a machine to being a
testing client, a fast network connection for downloading symbols and
updates, etc.

Is it possible for us to do something similar?  The WinNT test suites
covered pretty much everything, file systems, memory, video, I/O,
network, printing, desktop functionality, applications, process
management, etc.