mount options

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Jun 14 00:08:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 07:42:22PM -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 17:21 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> > Does anybody know how to change such mount options like, say,
> > 'shortname=winnt' for vfat for filesystems mounted by hal?
>
> Right now it can't be done in FC-5.  For better or worse upstream
> decided to take the policy configuration out of HAL.

Sigh!  As usual they have that completely backwards.  I mean that
one can suffer through moving policies elsewhere, although old
configuration and methods stop to work, as long as this "elsewhere"
is not /dev/null.

> They are working on PolicyKit which should allow for better
> control over policy such as mounting.

One would think that the order should be: first PolicyKit and
at that time we are killing old ways.  Oh, well, at least there
is some hope ...

> Options right now
> are to add a static mount to /etc/fstab

Does not work too good if a file system in question is on a memory
card for a digital camera or something else of that sort.

> or edit /usr/share/hal/scripts/hal-system-storage-mount.

I was afraid of that once I looked at various pieces but I hoped
that I am mistaken.  Bummer!

> If someone wants
> to go more indepth and send a patch
> for /usr/share/hal/scripts/hal-system-storage-mount which uses the old
> policy keys from HAL I have no issues with releasing a new package for
> FC-5 as long as it is deemed to be secure.

Ouch!  That may be "interesting".

   Thanks,
   Michal