kde 3.5.3: well done!!

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 20 14:25:49 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 20 June 2006 2:49 pm, tony wrote:
> Le mardi 20 juin 2006 à 15:29 +0200, Gianluca Cecchi a écrit :
> > But why doesn't fedora switch to kde finally?
>
> <snip>
>
> > PS: my system is a dual athlon MP 2200+ (1800MHz) with 1GB of ram and
> > 1 serial arta disk.
>
> Because maybe KDE suck huge rocks through tiny straws on machines that
> are less powerful than that?

Not true. I've run KDE on machines much less powerful than that, and KDE has
always been as responsive as gnome. The idea that gnome is fast than KDE is
pure crude, particularly with the latest versions of both (where, in my
experience, it is actually the other way around)

> And on my Vaio C1XD running FC5, gnome
> takes up much less of the 1024x480 pixel real estate than KDE.

Did you actually try to change any of the settings. The advantage of KDE is it
is much more configurable than gnome, and can be made to look almost however
you want.

> Having
> tried both gnome is more Mac OS X like than KDE and my other machines
> are Macs.
>
> So there are three good reasons why not to.

If making things look like Max OSX is your aim then fine. Not everyone likes
the way OSX looks (me in particular)

cheers Chris

p.s. Asking if FC/RH is going to switch to KDE is a waste of time - they are
tied at the hip to gnome. What we can hope for is equal support, and the idea
to push KDE to extras is a step in that direction.

> Cheers
>
> Tony

| Dr Chris R Jones         work   : +44 (0)1223 337324         |
| HEP Group  (rm 882)      fax    : +44 (0)1223 353920         |
| Cavendish Laboratory,    home   : +44 (0)1223 510711         |
| Madingley Road,          mobile : +44 (0)7723 327477         |
| Cambridge, CB3 0HE       email  : jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk   |