Fedora Core 5 Test Update: kernel-2.6.17-1.2138_FC5

Patrick fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 21 14:45:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 20:30 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> Fedora Test Update Notification
> FEDORA-2006-735
> 2006-06-20
>
> Product     : Fedora Core 5
> Name        : kernel
> Version     : 2.6.17
> Release     : 1.2138_FC5
> Summary     : The Linux kernel (the core of the Linux operating system)
> Description :
> The kernel package contains the Linux kernel (vmlinuz), the core of any
> Linux operating system.  The kernel handles the basic functions
> of the operating system:  memory allocation, process allocation, device
> input and output, etc.

> Update Information:
>
> A large rebase to the latest stable upstream release 2.6.17.1

Dave,

Works quite well and seems faster. The header file dm.h is included so
it's way easier now to build TrueCrypt. The bcm43xx/softmac are notable
improvements. Couple of things I noticed although I'm not sure you are
the person to report this to:
1) wpa_supplicant causes a kernel oops. I rebuilt wpa_supplicant from
   the srpm from rawhide and installed it but when I was fiddling around
   with it it caused another oops
2) wpa_supplicant does not have support for the bcm43xx driver so I am
   not sure if it's usable at all. Without specifying a DRIVER in
   /etc/sysconfig/wap_supplicant it does not start but the available
   drivers do not include the bcm43xx according to man wap_supplicant
3) wireless-tools on FC5 support WE-19 while WE-20 is needed for this
   kernel. I just got the wireless-tools srpm fom rawhide, rebuilt and
   installed it. That fixed the message.
4) Suspending form the Gnome menu works fine. Resume however does not.
   The screen remains black and doesn't even seem powered. No HD led
   flickering, nothing. Pretty much the same as with all previous
   kernels

Tested on an Acer Ferrari 4005Wmli (AMD X86_64)

Thanks for a great new kernel!

Regards,
Patrick