questions about "Suspend"

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Jun 22 06:34:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 10:18:32PM -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
> look at the rpm package pm-utils.  When you run the program
> pm-suspend, it is supposed to use "suspend to ram".

> I'm having good luck
> lately with laptop PCs, but with desktops--and I've tried 5 different
> models--none of them could be made to suspend.

That box used in testing is a desktop and x86_64.  On a laptop
of my wife (it runs currently FC4) I have "suspend to ram"
working for a long time.  No pm-suspend; just some configuration
in /etc/acpi/events/, a helper script and 'acpi_sleep=s3_bios'
(apparently required for this box) in boot parameters.  I did
not fare too well with 'vbetool' if you were thinking about this.

But if this suspension/hibernation still works only in some cases
then what is the point of putting all that stuff on menus, with
no obvious way to remove if unusable, and also with no apparent
way to reconfigure actions?

BTW - on another laptop, also with FC4, where I tried
"suspend to ram" everything worked at the first look very nicely.
Even 'acpi_sleep=s3_bios' was not needed.  Only, after a rather
short of working normally after a wake-up, a mouse in X was
getting stuck on the left screen edge and from that moment
on you could move it only up and down.  The only way to cure
that condition AFAICT is to reboot and it never happens if
you will not suspend.  If this will change in the future
remains to be seen.

   Michal