Questions from a testing newbie

Jay Cliburn jacliburn at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 24 01:47:48 UTC 2006

Today I took my first steps into the world of FC test releases by
installing FC6T1, and I have a few questions as a result.

After installing, I performed a yum update and was astonished to see 145
new packages available, amounting to more than 180 megabytes of
downloads.  I presume this to be because test1, even though released
just a day or two ago, was frozen several days ago, and all these
updates get it caught up to today's development snapshot, right?

I'm rather bandwidth limited at home, living in a rural community with a
256/128 DSL connection (that reset about 10 times today because of a
flaky phone line on the telco side -- no kidding; I had no phone at all
for about 4 hours yesterday).  Is the average daily download for the
development stuff in the tens of megabytes?

If I keep up with daily updates, will I be current when FC6T2 arrives?
Will I need to dump test 1 and do a clean install of test 2, or do most
folks just keep the initial test release installed and continue with
updates as a way to approximate subsequent releases?

Thanks for your time,
Jay