Single-boot on Mactel?

Peter Hutnick hutnick at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 01:18:19 UTC 2006

Well, I'm posting this from the mini running FC6t1!

I am dual booting.  I blew away all of the existing partitions and
tried to install several different ways, with several different grub
configurations.  It seems that the magic boot camp partition is
necessary after all.  I reinstalled OSX and installed into the
"windows" partition using the default partitioning with LVM to cram /
and swap into the same disk partition.

I had a hell of a time getting the install DVD out of the drive after
the failed installs.  In rescue mode it didn't see the DVD drive.
(I.e. "eject /dev/hda", which works on the installed system, didn't
work.)  The whole "hold down the mouse button during power on" thing
seems to be less than 100% reliable.

As someone else noted, the Apple bluetooth mouse and keyboard don't
work.  They both worked fine during the install, but stopped after the
first reboot.  (That is to say they didn't work in the final
configuration.)

It did let me set 1280x1024 in the final config.  I plan to try the
instructions at the link Konstantin sent to get the audio working.  Is
that something that should be working by the time FC6 is final?

Is there any technical reason why FC needs Boot Camp?  It seems like
EFI boot is something that is basically solved, but isn't integrated
into this release.

I'll tackle the wireless Ethernet someday, but for now I'm going be
content with wired networking.

I think it would be great if all this stuff worked out of the box on
FC6 final.  I don't have the skills to do much about that, but I would
be thrilled to test anything any of you folks come up with.

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to any other suggestions.

-Peter