very clear-bright colors on the desktop

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Jun 29 03:43:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 21:40 +0200, LarryT wrote:
> Arnout Lok wrote:
> > On 6/28/06, LarryT <guess.who at freesurf.fr> wrote:
> >
> >> Dections are good, but colors very clear and bright. On the same pc i
> >> have fc5, and colors are good :-/
> >>
> >> Here is my xorg.conf :
> >>
> >> Section "Monitor"
> >>
> >>   ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
> >>          Identifier   "Monitor0"
> >>          VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
> >>          ModelName    "Sony CPD-20SF2T5"
> >>          DisplaySize  390        290
> >>   ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
> >>          HorizSync    30.0 - 85.0
> >>          VertRefresh  48.0 - 150.0
> >>          Option      "dpms"
> >> EndSection
> >>
> >> Section "Device"
> >>          Identifier  "Videocard0"
> >>          Driver      "nv"
> >>          VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
> >>          BoardName   "nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000 AGP 8x]"
> >> EndSection
> >

> > I had the same with the nv-driver. (even during the graphical
> > installation) The gamma was set to 2.2. And it couldn't be altered.
> > After a ' yum update', which got me a new nv-driver, it was resolved.
> >
> > Arnout Lok
> >
> Thanks Arnout :)
> I tried to install the dirvers from nVidia
> (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-8762.html),
>   but it needs the kernel sources :(
> Where may i find those sources ? (2.6.16-1.2289_FC6), please ?

Okay, for starters, Nvidia's drivers don't work with Rawhide (FC6) due
to changes to the API in Xorg.  New drivers will appear some time soon
(date unknown) but until then you'll need to use the 'nv' driver
supplied with Xorg.

As someone mentioned, when Nvidia do release the new drivers, use
rpm.livna.org to install these drivers.  Livna's RPMs do some nice
things to make the drivers play nice and are far easier to use than
Nvidia's own release.

There's two things I know that livna nvidia drivers do:

1. Handle a file confict with MESA/OpenGL packages where NVidia replaces
the files, but Livna changes where to look for the files.

2. Detect whether the necessary kernel mod for the nvidia driver exists
and then modifies you're xorg.conf file so that you can still use the nv
drivers when the nvidia drivers won't work.

R.
 It's much better on my side"