Cursor tracking in thunderbird/firefox?

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 5 21:13:57 UTC 2006

D Canfield wrote:
> Ben Steeves wrote:
>> On 3/3/06, D Canfield <canfield at uindy.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't want to be the kind of guy that harps on his "favorite" bugs,
>>> but I'm finding it incredibly difficult to believe that the cursor
>>> tracking that is broken in both the thunderbird editor and the firefox
>>> textarea has not been fixed this close to release.  Is it really not
>>> driving anyone else totally insane, or is it just a handful of us who
>>> are experiencing it?  There is an open bug in bugzilla about the
>>> thunderbird issue, and I would expect the two are related.  I don't know
>>> if the editor is mozilla specific or a gtk thing, but I've not noticed
>>> the issue in any other gtk apps, and the issue doesn't exist on
>>> Windows.  Yet, it still occurs with a fresh download from mozilla.com.
>>> Anyone know what's going on with this?
Because the feature (bug) is in mozilla (including a fresh download - it
would be great to check mozilla bugzilla and if necessary file there.

>> It might be more helpful if you were to point to the bugzilla entry or
>> describe the behavior more completely, 'cos I for one am not sure what
>> "cursor tracking" means.
>>
> Bug  177436.
Suuplying a full URL would be nice as well: this saves other people time
who might like to give of their time to look at your issue ;-)

> Put a cursor in the middle of a line of text in the
> middle of a paragraph, and then press the up or down arrow.  The cursor
> will jump to the beginning or end of the next/previous line, rather than
> remaining in the middle of the line of text like every other application
> on the system does.  This only happens on mozilla apps, but not under
> windows.  Can't currently  confirm it on other linuxes.
Is this in the mail reader ?
Only in three pane mode ?
What about when you double click a received mail ?
What if there is less than a screen full of paragraphs ?
Can you grab some example text (something of the web if you like) that
causes the problem ?
A bug isn't a solvable bug unless it is reproducible by someone
else...how else could anyone know what they would need to do to fix ?

DaveT.