Issues about anaconda setting up NICs

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Mar 29 19:11:25 UTC 2006

Folks,

As I suspected when I first installed FC5-T3, that somehow the network
cards are being setup backwards when setting it up via anaconda. My
eth0 and eth1 cards are backwards from anaconda but when I finally
got all my stuff updated and installed in FC5-T3, what I did was to
blow away the ifcfg-eth0 & ifcfg-eth1 definition files (setup initially
via anaconda) in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and ensured these also
did not exists in /etc/sysconfig/networking, I rebooted the system and
sure enough these files did not exists nor did I expect it to.  So,
proceeding and selected gnome-menu: System->Administration->Network,
I looked into the hardware devices tab and the eth0 and eth1 NIC cards
were properly assigned as I expected it to be.  So it was a simple
matter of completing the rest of the parameters and everything is setup
just fine.

I find this behavior exactly the same with the production release of FC5
as well.

So, my point is, that if you multi-boot as I do, Fedora is the one that
is choosing the NIC cards is backwards compared to other OS's I have
installed in my system and all because anaconda asks for eth0 and eth1
settings in a backward fashion.  Now that I got it corrected, I can MB
to different OS's without being forced to change my network cable
assignments.

Please fix this behavior and get it right.

Kind regards,
Dan