How to install FC5 on XFS?

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Wed May 3 14:02:24 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 00:41 +0000, zyk at hotpop.com wrote:
> > I am trying to install FC5 on XFS. I have been using FC on XFS since FC3 and install processes always had been very smooth.
> > It seems that FC5 (or Anaconda) does not accept /boot on XFS filesystem. Did anyone have success to install FC5 on XFS partition?
> > Thanks.
> >

> I believe that is intentional. There are wide spread reports on problems
> with booting off a XFS partition.
>
> For example, http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20060501#tips
>
> Note that other filesystems besides Ext3 is provided only for migration
> reasons and not testing is being done on them.

Boot up the installer with:

   linux xfs

(This also works to enable reiserfs:  linux reiserfs)

You will have to create partitions manually.  Anaconda does restrict
/boot to ext3, but your other filesystems can be xfs or reiserfs.  Note
that it's 100% completely unsupported and bugs opened about xfs and
reiserfs are closed wontfix (unless it's actually interesting).

It's also worth noting that XFS and Reiserfs don't work with SELinux, so
if you want to use XFS or Reiserfs, be sure to disable selinux in your
grub boot options and in /etc/sysconfig/selinux.

--
David Cantrell
Red Hat / Westford, MA