kernel 2.6.16-1.2107_FC5 breaks graphical boot (and cups and httpd)

shrek-m at shrek-m at
Fri May 5 09:10:03 UTC 2006

On 05.05.2006 10:20, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 09:35 +0200, shrek-m at wrote:
>>fixed by removing a released/published package in updates ?
>Fixed by a new kernel.

2111 is not in updates or updates-testing.
2096 in updates is not new.

sure, davej does not need the fedora-test-list.
From/: Dave Jones <davej redhat com>/
To/: fedora-list redhat com/
Subject/: A fixed kernel./
Date/: Fri, 5 May 2006 00:10:30 -0400

It took all day to get it fixed up & built, but I think the
2111 kernel at
should fix all the nasty problems with networking that people
saw with the 2107 kernel.

If this survives overnight testing, it goes out tomorrow.

> You dont want to have a exploit when a package that fixes critical
>security issues lie untested for a week in updates-testing repository.

sure, it is better to publish it directly in updates.
a really good decision, the result ...

"a fixed kernel"
"kernel 2.6.16-1.2107_FC5"
"kernel ...2107_FC5 problems"
"kernel upate"

eg. <snip>

I just installed FC5 a couple of days ago on my wife's computer (clean
install from FC3). Today I updated the kernel to 2.6.16-1.2107_FC5.i686
and now the box won't boot. When I do a hard reboot and select the
original kernel, it's just fine. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

"kernel 2.6.16-1.2107_FC5 .... stop at boot"
"kernel eth0 dead"
"kernel breaks squid"
"kernel breaks graphical boot and nfs"
"cups and new kernel"