FC6Pre nfs install fails

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Oct 1 19:01:24 UTC 2006

On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 01:08:52PM -0400, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

> I am completely hosed.  The only prompt that I get is the "grub>"

Yes, that is what you need.  Somewhat minimal but may be good
enough. :-)

> I can no longer boot from neither CDROM 1 nor the rescue CD.

Because?  Your BIOS should let you specify a boot order
and maybe even pick up a boot device for that particular
boot.  Details vary with a particular BIOS.

> root (hd0,1)

Very good.  "root" here means "grub-root", i.e. that partition on
which boot images reside and not '/' of a Linux file system.

> > to point to that device where your kernel and initrd reside.
> > grub helps expanding possible choices.
>
> I don't know where this is??

Well, you wrote that on (hd0,1).  Is that incorrect?  If
yes, then change it.

> If it is similar to FC5, I can look at my other system.

Yes, this is really the same stuff you see in /etc/grub.conf.
So you have to type something like

kernel /vm... ro root=LABEL=/ s  (or "3" instead of "s")

(grub expands so let it help you) and in the next line

initrd /init...

and on the next line

boot

Check "General boot methods" in 'info grub' and in particular
"GNU/Linux" there.

You are likely also seeing something like this:

 [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
   lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
   completions of a device/filename.]

   Michal