Urgent: Upgrading FC5 to test4, still no go.

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Oct 3 15:13:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 15:39 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 09:04 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Tuesday 03 October 2006 02:06, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > > This is rather urgent, as FC6 is about to be released.
> > > Yesterday tried to upgrade a fully working copy of FC5 (with separate
> > > /boot marked as noauto,defaults).
> > > Anaconda didn't mount boot (NONBUG according to BZ#208093 [1]) which
> > > was partially fixed - Anaconda disabled the grub "update" option until
> > > I manually mounted the /boot partition. Good. (Q: wouldn't be better
> > > if Anaconda displayed a message saying: "boot marked noauto; didn't
> > > mount it; cannot update existing grub configuration; manually mount
> > > it?")
> > > The installation itself was rather event-less, and finished just fine.
> > >
> > > However, when I tried booting my shiny new FC6, I got the dreaded:
> > > "GRUB GRUB GRUB ...." and had to reboot the test4 ISO in rescue mode
> > > and fix the grub configuration (grub, root (hd0,0), setup (hd0),
> > > quit).
> > > The machine seems to be working just fine now.
> >
> > Retry with boot not marked as noauto from the get go.
>
> I'll give it a try when I get back home.
> Be aware that I manually mounted the /boot partition once I had terminal
> access and that both the kernels and the grub.conf were
> installed/configured correctly. Only grub-stageII-setup (?) failed.

Yes, but anaconda didn't have a real idea of how your system is set
up.

Trying to do things like this CANNOT WORK.  We reinstall grub at the end
of the install and do so based on our idea of what filesystems are
mounted, where /boot is, etc.  Going behind the installer's back and
mounting things from ttys is nonsense.

If your system has a separate /boot, then the fstab must have it set so
that anaconda knows that it should mount it.  And that means not
"noauto" since that's really no better than not listing it at all.

Jeremy