Intel GMA 950?

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Thu Oct 5 12:42:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 21:54 -0500, Justin Conover wrote:
> I was thinking about the M1210 too, I assume you got the intel 950 and
> not the nvidia card.

On the indirect advice of the RH guys on this list, I did and I'm
happier for it. It's supposed to be better for battery life and when I
ordered, I didn't know how long it would be before nvidia shipped an
aiglx compatible driver. They ended up releasing a beta before I got the
M1210 and I was second guessing myself but after dealing with the nvidia
driver on my desktop, it's nice to have things just work with the
standard distribution. Compiz works very well for me and the size and
weight of the machine are perfect. It even plays quake3 at reasonable
frame rates.

It will be even nicer when the 3945 wireless driver is in the standard
kernel but the Linville kernels work fine. I am having a problem with
the snd_hda_intel driver not finding the sound card on 50% of my reboots
but I'm sure that will be fixed in the near term. I even got the camera
working with the ucv driver. It's a pretty nice laptop.

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |