Have reached a point where I feel p***ed

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Oct 6 02:43:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 22:37 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 22:12 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 October 2006 22:03, Jim Cornette wrote:
> > > With a broken text installer and limiting the ability for the user to
> > > run the graphical installer successfully, consideration on not releasing
> > > a distro would be a wise decision.
> >
> > Where's the bug for the broken text installer?  I'm pretty sure that 'linux
> > video=vesa' still works too, to force the vesa driver, which according to the
> > reporter does give some gui support.
>
> I filed a bug report and referenced the text installer being out of
> sync. I'll files a bug report regarding selecting the customizing
> packages via the F2 key shows packages from the group different from the
> highlighted main group. I figured that this problem could not have been
> overlooked. Someone would report or catch this problem.

This was filed and I fixed it up on Tuesday-ish I believe

> An option to help the many users trying to install Fedora with the GUI
> would be to have a dialog box to allow selecting the "vesa" driver
> instead of having the user search around for the video=vesa parameter
> given to the installer.

The problem is that for _most_ users, they're going to hit enter on
their CD and go straight into graphical mode.  Adding a step to
configure your video card here is entirely the wrong answer as it can't
be done in a way that's internationalized across all of the locales that
are to be supported.  Not to mention that text mode screens just look
ugly to casual users :-)

Post-FC6, I want to look at trying to use some of the more advanced
syslinux menu'ing capabilities that are now present so that we can try
to do a little more to lead people to things like this from the
bootloader.  But, as always, it's a matter of tradeoffs and time as to
what gets done versus left behind for any given release.

Jeremy