/etc/inittab went away && wlan has weird device name

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Sat Oct 14 16:44:16 UTC 2006

Thomas J. Baker wrote:
>> On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 10:18 -0500, Julian C. Dunn wrote:
>> > I just did a yum update, updating to initscripts 8.31.1-1 (among other
>> > things like a new kernel). When I rebooted, init complained that inittab
>> > was missing, so I rebooted into rescue mode and found that there was
>> > an /etc/inittab.rpmsave but no /etc/inittab. Has anyone else had this
>> > problem?

Yes, I did as well - I conjecture that the postinstall script of
initscripts barfed, and thus the old inittab had been moved, but the new
one not put into place. At least it isn't hard to fix *if* you know how
to boot into single user mode from grub, remount root as read/write, and
rename the file - in other words, a major disaster for a newbie, a minor
hassle for an old pro.