Another slip in the FC6 schedule

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Oct 18 21:16:12 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 18 October 2006 16:29, ronald wrote:
> it's always difficult to me to express my thoughts in correct english
> sentences. therefore it's always a one-sentence-statement, which could
> be misunderstood and i believe here also: my email wasn't a complaint !
>
> -iirc- you and all working on fedora are (at least) since mid sept.
> under steam to hold this *shitty* date.
>
> why/where is the need to raise this steam by announcing *dates* in a
> weekly beat ?
>
> means: take that time you need to release a proper fc6.
>
> i believe the peoples are more interested in quality then in this
> release *date*.
>
> and - reading between the lines - yesterday it was notedly (fc5 on
> production boxes is at least a compliment to FC5 and all involved people !)
>
> but repetitively slip dates and "draft draft draft" on the schedule site
> is honest, but have a psychological effect also.

Without release dates it is extremely hard to manage feature freezes and
translation freezes etc.. so we set dates.  We try to line those dates up
with things like gnome releases and kernel releases and such.  Now, the tree
isn't always in the best of shape when those dates come around, but we try
hard to make those dates.  Sometimes we have to push the date out.  Sometimes
we have to drop a functionality or feature.  The reason 'draft draft draft'
is on the page is purely so that people don't get a hard expectation on our
release dates and plan for some flexibility.  It would be insane to hold
Fedora to a hard and fast release date, but at the same time it would be
insane to not have ANY dates set and make something happen.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora