Fedora downtime

Fulko.Hew at sita.aero Fulko.Hew at sita.aero
Wed Oct 25 16:57:49 UTC 2006

fedora-test-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 10/25/2006 12:28:44 PM:

> Fulko.Hew at sita.aero wrote:
> >
> > fedora-test-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 10/25/2006 10:34:24 AM:
> >

> >>Could anybody put here at least small note what's going on with fedora
> >>sites? As mirrolist at fedora.redhat.com is not working users are
> >>complaining that the "yum is broken".
> >

> > Is this why I'm now getting the error during 'yum update' of:
> >
> > "Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core"?
> >

> Suggest you look at
>     http://fedorasolved.org/Members/bobjensen/fc5-yum-mirror-list-update

Yes, someone mentioned that on list, replying to me.

> Hmmm.  That is a condition we have been having on FC6.  I hadn't heard
> it reported on pre FC6.  My work around has been
>   - make sure the correct repo(s) are enabled
>   - yum clean all
>   - yum clean metadata
> this usually clears the issue.

Actually, I had tried that first, but I figured it probably had something
to do with the downed server.
And if the server is down, it affects all revs of the distrubution, not
just FC6.

> In some cases I see where they remove the 'cache'.
>
> ===
> Yesterday, I went to use k3b on "FC6 pre" and found k3b complained that
> it couldn't work with the media.  It wouldn't work with a DVD-R or a
> DVD+RW.  I wanted to get on with things so I rebooted onto my FC5 hard
> drive, k3b work great.
>
> Today, after doing a number of trivial things, I decided to have another
> go at k3b on DVD.  But even with the released version of FC6, I still
> would not use k3b.  It does not start to try to erase the DVD+RW, let
> alone try to burn the DVD+RW.
>
> I changed back from KDE to Gnome and tried "CD/DVD Creator".  It had no
> problem and wrote the image of FC6 on the DVD+RW.
>
> I guess they have broken something on k3b using FC6, because k3b has
> worked 100% for me up to and including FC5.
>
> I see a bunch of updates for FC6 have been released.  I didn't notice
> anything for k3b, but I will be keeping an open to that subject.
>
> ===
> When I burn the DVDs, I must admit I use the 'auto' speed setting.  I
> seem to have the choice under k3b of
>     auto, ignore, 1x, 2x
>
> The app seems to try to use 10x to 12x with DVD-R although at some
> points I have seen it back down to 7x.
>
> For DVD+RW, it seems to try to run at the limit of the media (4x).
>
> I think the system finds it challenging to keep data in the 4 MB buffer.
>   I think that the underrun kicks in sometimes and causes the process to
> stop while it has a re-go at the process.  But when it comes to the
> verify, the media normally verifies.
>
> On CD, the speed is crazier.  The default favours 31x, but I sometimes
> see it lower that rate to in the 20's.
>
> Both cases (CD or DVD), the access to the hard drive for more source
> data really works the drive hard to keep data in the buffer.  For these
> higher data rates (ex 17 MB/s), the use of a 4 MB buffer seems marginal.
>
> ===
> Re static vs DHCP addr
> I used to config for a static addr during the install, knowing that is
> where I was going to end up.  What ever they did abt resolv.conf, I
> found it looked after itself.
>
> But with these updates and bringing a script from BSD to manipulate the
> resolv.conf, has forced me to "install with DHCP as default", and when
> the install is complete, check resolv.conf.  The resolv.conf looks good
> but /etc/resolv.conf/dhclient is empty.

Hold on... you mean /etc/resolv.conf and ... ???
Oh.  I see something called /etc/resolv.conf.predhclient

Must be a copy that they save just in case there is new info comming
from a DHCP response.

So If you didn't have anything in resolve.conf before (which you didn't
cause this is a new install), then the .predhclient version wouldn't
exist either.

resolv.conf only gets affected if you maipulate your domain name,
or list of nameservers.  I wouldn't expect you did that during/after
installing with static addressing... did you?

But if you installd with DHCP, even once, then it would have populated
a resolv.conf for you, and left that around for when you switched
back to static.
And if you ever did a static config (right at install time), I suspect
that you _did_ go and manually populated resolv.conf or copied it from
another system to get it to work.

>  I copy the resolv.conf into the
> dhclient file and then config the network for a static addr.
>
> Just now I checked /etc/resolv.conf* and find the dhclient file has been
> removed.  Something magic must be happening.

I think the .dhclient version is a red herring for you.

> ===
> Agree with your comment that the ISP service probably limits BW to each
> IP allowed.  Just find it annoying that I do not have more upward BW.

... Well if you pay them more money....
Like buisness rates, I think you could even get symetrical bandwith.

> Especially after I listed to a couple of Guru's on the TV talk about our
> facilities in NA vs some of southern asia.  We a copper based vs fiber
> in the Asian area.  They didn't have a useful copper installation.  Thus
> the fiber delivers abt 1 order of more BW, in both directions (down and
> up) to the end user, for abt the same fee as we pay per user per month.

I don't think its so much as copper vrs fibre, but that NA markets
already had a notion of tiered pricing, so they just continued it,
... and made it worse.

> Can't comment on the low latency kernel.  I suspect that is true in the
> FC6.  To me, it seems that FC6 is quicker.

Application loading/run-time-linking is now faster because a hash is used
inside ELF files, rather than what it was doing before.  (This was in the
release notes for FC6.)

> ===
> Sorry but I won't make TPM.  I seem to be low on walking power these
> days and the doctor is supposed to be looking into it.  But I don't see
> much happening so far.  So I will stay quiet.  I think I need to
> excercise more, but will see what the Doc says.

Ack.  Tho its not as if we do a lot of walking from the parking lot.

Hope you feel better soon.

This document is strictly confidential and intended only for use by the addressee unless otherwise stated.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.