fuse vs. setuid

Kenny Simpson theonetruekenny at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 1 16:41:20 UTC 2006

I am trying to use fuse (sshfs and encfs), and am not having much luck w/o whacking permissions.
After adding myself to the 'fuse' group, I am still getting errors from fusermount:
  fusermount: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied

Permissions on fusermount are:
-rwsr-xr-- 1 root fuse 22428 May 21 02:34 /usr/bin/fusermount

Permissiong on /dev/fuse are:
crw------- 1 root fuse 10, 229 Aug 30 13:09 /dev/fuse

If I add g+wr to /dev/fuse, all works.

Shouldn't the setuid on fusermount handle this?

info: (all updates as of today - did not yet reboot to pick up new kernel)
2.6.17-1.2600.fc6 w/ boot options: ro root=LABEL=/ pnpacpi=off
Pentium 3/450  384MB
SELinux disabled