Removing unwanted xorg-x11-drv packages

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Sep 5 13:41:40 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 09:36 -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> Then I wonder what the point was to splitting them up? I was one who
> thought
> this would be a great time to jettison all the old video card drivers.
> Like
> when would you ever install a Tseng video card? Or S3? And if you did,
> won't
> the Vesa drivers work well enough until you install a more optimized
> driver?

Now when an update is made to an upstream driver, the X maintainer just
has to respin the driver, not the entire Xorg blob.  An update can be
made just for the driver package which is a MUCH smaller download than
the entire Xorg blob.  If in the future we get some way of doing dynamic
package loading based on hardware detection, then we can trim out the
packages.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora