Rawhide install 9/10

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 11 12:50:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 04:42 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 08:46:19AM +0530, Rahul wrote:
> > >One of the things about FC6 that bothers me is the exclusion of an
> > >adequate configuration file to make X work correctly.
> >
> > Not to be pedantic but there is no FC6 yet and things do work correctly
> > out of the box on my system so that above statement is not true in all
> > cases anyway.
>
> Ah the "Gnome developer" defence. "It works for some people" is apparently
> better than "It works for everyone" us the standard justification for removing
> useful features and driving users to other desktops.

Adding to this post to preserve the thread...

I generally run lots of things, including test software like FC6T2,
using VMware Workstation. The X display bug there is absolutely painful.

In general, you run the screen resolution of a VM at a lower setting
than the screen resolution of the host OS so you can see the entire
screen. VMware passes through the monitor type to the VM with the net
result that X then tries to load gdm at the maximum possible resolution
available - even if your host system is using a lower resolution than
the max.

This results in a gdm login screen that's too big in *every* conceivable
situation, including a best case scenario of having the same resolution
as the host OS.

I would fervently like to add my vote that, while a minimal X
configuration file is desirable, minimal that maintains a reasonable
amount of control over your system is by far the best.

Putting it another way, some of us actually *like* having manual
transmissions in our cars. Mine is a 6-speed and it's a blast! If
someone forced an automatic transmission on me, I would be just as
upset. The last time that happened, I told the sales person there's an
old saying that automatic transmissions are like enemas; they're made
for people who can't shift for themselves...

Cheers,

Chris

--
"Never murder a man when he's