Test3 doesn't boot

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Sat Sep 16 14:02:20 UTC 2006

Hi,

I was using the tree from last weekend so that I would not have to do another
DVD download and installed to software raid 5...all went smooth until reboot:

md: Autodetecting raid arrays
md: autorun ...
md: ... autorun done
VFS: Cannot open root device "md1" or unknown-block(0,0)
kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs or unknown block(0,0)

So which is it - unable to mount or unknown block? How do you fix either?

I decided to do the full download of the Test3 final. It identified the
filesystem correctly so I told it to do an upgrade. After the replace bootloader
screen, I get a python traceback:

File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/packages.py" line 612 in tagByName
  raise Errors.MiscErrors "unknown header tag %s" %tag
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/packages.py" line 629 in return Simple
  return Self.tagByName(thing)
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/sortedtransaction.py" line 17 in __getMedia
  uri=po.returnSimple('basepath')

Hmm...the dialog offers to scp the file to a host. After typing in the
information, it says there was a problem sending the file. I ran tcpdump
on the destination machine and not a single packet arrived. Was there more
information that it should have collected or maybe some information it
should have output so that I could tell you what it did wrong? "There was a
problem" is not exactly debugable.

So...will there be a Test3.1 to fix people's installation issues or do we just
not want people testing FC6?

-Steve