FC4 test 3 problems

parta pritam.ghanghas at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 11:44:26 UTC 2006

Hi

I noticed few small glitches with the new FC6t3:

Installation was trouble free. But problems soon started popping up

 I was not able to set x resolution below 1200 x 1152 using the gui utility
for display management. Was only fixed when I added the following code to my
xorg.conf
 Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Samsung SyncMaster 793S/793V/CM173G"
        HorizSync    40.0 - 50.0
        VertRefresh  80.0 - 120.0
        Option      "dpms"
 EndSection
and  the following subsection under screen
SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1024x768"
 EndSubSection

2. I was running xen dom0 with openoffice firefox thunderbird gnome-terminal
when my x froze. all the windows on my x froze. I was still able to drag the
mouse all over the desktop, nothing else. one more thing, I had used "xm
mem-set 0 244" for freeing up some memory for a virtual maching a few
minutes before x faulted

3. Yum hung up a few times after it finishes reading the repository meta
data for packages. But this problem always gets resolved by a reboot.

4. K3b was not working giving out errors like
can not annonmously mmap
resource busy.
Later I came to know that It has nothing to do with FC6. New kernels in the
2.6.x series doen't allow priviledged user to lock large memory resources.
that broke growisofs. I tried searching on google and found two solutions to
this
Run the following command in bash "ulimit -l unlimited"  and restart k3b.
This one didnt work for me. I am not sure if it will work for anyone else.
go to settings --> configure k3b --> programs and put the following
arguments to growisofs
-use-the-force-luke=bufsize:16m
This one worked for me.

Rest is cool untill now. Infact a lot of things are better than previous
releases.

Cheers !

Pritam Ghanghas