FC6T3 x86-64 booting issue

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Thu Sep 21 18:27:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 12:29 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 05:25:19PM +0100, Tomas Lanik wrote:
>
>  > The install went all OK but the result is the same, even with the
>  > correct initrd-<version>.img is in /boot:
>  > root(hd0,0)
>  > FileSystem Type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>  > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2630.fc6 ro root=/dev/basevg/rootlv rhgb quiet
>  >  [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x20865b]
>  > initrd /initrd-2.6.17-1.2630.fc6.img
>  >  [Linux-initrd @ 0xdf916000, 0x5b9800 bytes]
>  >
>  > Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory
>  > Press any key to continue...
>  >
>  > It think it might be related to the raid system and(or) GRUB.. Could the
>  > GRUB update from linux rescue help?
>  > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>  > GRUB ERROR DESCRIPTION
>  >
>  > 28 : Selected item cannot fit into memory
>  >     This error is returned if a kernel, module, or raw file load command
>  >     is either trying to load its data
>  >     such that it won't fit into memory or it is simply too big.
>
> Bizarre. How much RAM do you actually have ?
> *thinks*, Peter, I recall something magical about grub and x86-64
> a while back (I think it was on one of those 'viper' boxes).
> Ring any bells ?

Yeah, this is because of a change that was backed out because it was
limiting vmalloc= on non-hughmem kernels to be ~500M instead of ~700M or
so, and we couldn't find any bug related to it or figure out quite why
it was there.  It's back in in the build I did today, and I'm advising
the customers who care to bite the bullet and run hughmem.  So this
should be fixed in tomorrow's tree.

--
  Peter