new development firefox wont install

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Sep 21 23:12:32 UTC 2006

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 06:30:49PM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Unless the development version of seamonkey is different than the
>> FC5-extras version, it just installs seamonkey. It does not obsolete
>> mozilla for FC5 anyway.
>
> Following a model used in RHEL I did my own repackaging of seamonkey
> for FC5 to obsolete mozilla packages and to provide suitably high
> version of mozilla as well.  Maybe something of that sort should be
> done for FC6 to avoid update problems?  It is actually simpler in
> FC6 as there are no packages to recompile because they depend
> on mozilla (on some mozilla supplied libraries to be more precise).
>
> Should this be put in bugzilla?
>
>    Michal

Since mozilla will remain at the same version as it is from FC5, other
packages will be held from being updated, as with the original posters
problem. If FC6 (and current development) could pull in seamonkey if
mozilla is installed and seamonkey was not yet installed for the FC5 to
FC6 upgrade path, a lot of potential upgrade problems would be avoided.

How are current FC5 to FC6Test versions handling the mozilla orphaning?
Are the upgrade attempts removing mozilla, disregarding the possible
conflicts mozilla being stale could cause, or are they removing mozilla
from upgraded systems?

I think after the rambling, your suggestion for the repackaging of
seamonkey for FC6 would work out great to overcome potential problems
from all upgrades backward of FC6. FC5 is of course alright, nothing
conflicts with mozilla as of today. :-)

Jim

--
No matter how much you do you never do enough.