Nvidia bata & desktop effects

Lars G terraformers at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 14:33:56 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 16:13 +0200, dragoran wrote:
> Lars G wrote:

> >> Does it work in Gnome?, I'll install KDE and see if it works for me.
> >>

> > i got my borders back (in gnome) after
> > - deleting the ~/.gconf/apps/compiz dir
> > - restarting X
> > - toggling the gnome desktop effects button off/on
> >
> > maybe this helps you too!
> >

> > i found that compiz runs a lot smoother with high cpu load when
> > started with the "--direct-rendering" option.
> > there is a compiz entry in gconf /apps/gnome-session/rh/window_manager/
> > can this be used to add a custom command?
> >

> how high is the cpu load?

i was running a kernel compile in the background to generate the cpu
load :)

> nvidia recommends using direct rendering

yes read it on http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77030
this made me think of the --direct-rendering switch, and it worked out
nicely.
... btw. the 'export __GL_YIELD="NOTHING"' tip from that howto made it
again slower.

cheers
--
Lars G <terraformers at gmail.com>