Dependencies of Firefox

Havard Rast Blok newsmail1 at hblok.net
Tue Sep 26 20:11:30 UTC 2006

Hi,

After updating to 1.5.0.7-1.fc5 (on a rather pristine FC5 installation)
I got the wildly reported error when trying to access a site over HTTPS:

	Unexpected response from server
	Firefox doesn't know how to communicate with the server.
	*   Check to make sure your system has the Personal Security
	    Manager installed.

After much googling, grumbling and yumming, I finally got it working
with these updates (I'm not sure if the openssl was necessary):

 yum list firefox nss openssl mod_ssl

firefox.i386	1.5.0.7-1.fc5
mod_ssl.i386	1:2.2.2-1.2
nss.i386	3.11.3-0.5.fc5
openssl.i686	0.9.8a-5.3

My question is now, why are these packages not updated by yum as
dependencies of firefox? Surely, accessing https sites is a rather
common task. Even my mom needs this.

Unfortunately, I've not had the time to check if this has changed in FC6
Test 3.

Regards,

Havard

--