yum cannot deal with "multilib" updates again - sigh!

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Aug 3 20:39:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 04:06:47PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 13:48:25 -0600
> Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
>
> > Multilib issues on the top of that stuff create even a bigger
> > mess making hard to catch up what is responsible for what.
>
> I didn't see any multilib issues in your email.  Did you not include
> them or are you making them up?

When I wrote the initial posting of this thread I was not yet aware
of all tangled passages here.  When I sift through the original mess
created by 'yum update' I see now that in various places yum
attempted to "update" rarian.x86_64, rarian.i386,
rarian-compat.x86_64 and rarian.i386 again but _not_
rarian-compat.i386 with i386 packages totally bogus whichever way
you look at that.  It appears that that produced error messages
which I quoted in the original although apparently you can get there
also in some other way.

Looking for spurious architecture in errors allowed me to deduct
that 'rarian' is that something responsible for fireworks.  It
helped here but yum should not be grabbing those i386 packages in
the first place.

These commands:

    yum --exclude='rarian*' update
    yum install rarian.x86_64 rarian-compat.x86_64

got me currently into a consistent state on a test installation.

   Michal