Display dimensions (was: Another round of rawhide Live images)

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Aug 7 17:43:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 11:16:35PM -0700, Emmett Culley wrote:
> Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >
> >It is true that there is a line
> >
> >        Option      "PanelSize"  "1920x1200"
> >
> >in a "driver" section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf but other than that
> >nothing special.
> >
> On my system there is no Option  "PanelSize" "1920x1200" in any section
> after booting the th live image (KDE, x86_64).

'system-config-display' will not add such option; but you can find
it in 'man radeon'.

> There is Driver "vesa" in the Display subsection of the Screen Section.

The driver should be "radeon" if it supports your video.  I really
do not know that.  If this does not work then a question "in which
resolutions" is kind of secondary.  :-) "vesa" is quite limited by
definition.

> I take that back.  It does detect the ATI x1400 video card, but it doesn't
> detect the 1920x1200 LCD.

That is another issue.  If system-config-display fails then you
can try to give it a "helping hand" with an editor and report your
findings.

Peeking into /var/log/Xorg.setup.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log, after
you tried some configuration and failed, may give you better idea
where troubles lie.

 Michal