Announcing Fedora 8 Test 1 (7.90)

ronald rwarsow at online.de
Tue Aug 7 21:13:04 UTC 2007

> We interrupt your rawhide for a moment to make a small announcement.
>
> Fedora 8 Test one has been loosed upon the world today.  Included in
> this release is a "Fedora" installable 'choose your own adventure'
> style set of isos and trees for i386, x86_64, and ppc(64).  Also
> included are Live images of both the Fedora Desktop and the Fedora KDE
> desktop.  These are available for both i686 and x86_64 (x86_64 is DVD
> size only).  Remember these can be used on USB media via the
> livecd-iso-to-disk utility available in the livecd-tools package.
>
> Test 1 is for "alpha" users. This is the time when we would like to have full
> community participation. Without this participation both hardware and
> software functionality suffers. We need your help. Join us!

I have done a x86_64 network installation via boot.iso *without* any
problems.

Differing from the standard install in 2 points
- hd layout: "/" is on sdc3
- without office
and no special repos.

my impression:
- a *big* improvement, esp. LVM partition are seen and bindable
- yum run's [very] faster

packages:
- 178 i?86-packages
- isdn: i would believe this shouldn't installed per default
- additional speeches : do i need zulu,... ?
- ? pcimcia is, synaptic isn't installed by default. does this make
sense ?

sum:
a *big improvement* !
thanks.