kernel panic in 2.6.23-0.xx.rc2.fc8

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Aug 13 19:39:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 11:36:51AM -0700, David Mack wrote:
> The most recent rawhide kernel (2.6.23-0.101.rc2.git5.fc8) is still
> panicking when it tries to bring up the Ethernet. The message is:
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

My "main" connection from a test machine is using e100 and I am not
seeing that.  This is on x86_64 though and I do not recall you ever
mentioning which architecture you happen to be using.

> I would appreciate recommendations for reporting and/or debugging this.

I would start from turning off networking and booting without
inserting e100 module. ('install e100 :' in /etc/modprobe.conf
should do that if you have to force the issue although then you
likely need 'insmod' instead of 'modprobe' if you want that module
in).  Does that work?  If it does not then something else is really
the culprit.  Otherwise start doing steps like 'modprobe e100' and
bringing a network up "by hand" from a text console.  Does it panic?
When?  You should have logging already active so chances are that
you have traces in /var/log/messages.  If not then maybe you can rig
a serial console and catch an output on another machine?  Last but
not least, if your machine does not reboot immedately, photographing
what you have on your screen could be of help at least in a bug
report.

   Michal