what are my chances of getting wireless working on F8T1?

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 18:35:47 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 15:40 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> the scenario:  a gateway MX8711 laptop, fresh install of F8T1, and
> whose /var/log/dmesg reads:

> bcm43xx-phy0: Broadcom 4311 WLAN found
> ssb: Switching to IEEE 802.11 core, index 1
> bcm43xx-phy0 debug: Found PHY: Analog 4, Type 2, Revision 8
> bcm43xx-phy0 debug: Found Radio: Manuf 0x17F, Version 0x2050, Revision 2
> bcm43xx-phy0 debug: Radio turned off
>
>   so, to make a long question short, does anyone have a recipe for
> getting wireless up and running on this system?  the first time i ran
> system-config-network and tried to add a wireless interface, i was
> presented with a choice of "Other Wireless Card" and that's it.

Don't bother with system-config-network.

bcm43xx cards need firmware (that Broadcom won't let us package and
redistribute, grr) to operate. Have you gotten the firmware installed?

If not - install the bcm43xx-fwcutter and read the README therein for a
long list of places to get firmware. You'll need 4.x firmware for that
driver/card, probably.

-w