DVD Install of F8T1 failed on Dell Inspiron 860

Ronald Warsow rwarsow at online.de
Sat Aug 18 07:05:09 UTC 2007

Pat Kane wrote:
>  > One pretty big hammer which quite often worked in such situations is
>  > 'acpi=off'.
>
> That does not help.   I am starting to think that the problem is in
> the bootloader
> or very early in the Linux startup process.
>
> What program prints  the messages:
>     "Ready."

grub/kernel !

if it is the bootloader it would turn out error messages...

some month ago there was a broadcast with a boot option on
{test,devel}-list to slow down booting with many debug output, but i
don't remember if it was build in special.

stupid questions:
does your install cd fit to your arch ? i386/x86_64
enough RAM for a live cd ?

did you check your bios settings ?
- defaults
- ...
- hd settings
- unnessary devices OFF
- latest bios

i found some hints here
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-precision/2005-September/000700.html

did try booting with
- T1 rescue/rawhide boot.iso cd ?
- the boot files from T1 *in* your F7's grub.conf ?
as mentioned here http://planet.fedoraproject.org/
see blog entry: "Installation ohne Medium"

(irc F7 is on your (?) box, if not: a bios setting exchange ... )

and do
- a network install
- a minimal F7 install and a subsequent upgrade to T1 ...
- ...

a good description for serial console:
http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1118136,00.html

serial console is ~in~ F7 and esp. in {test,devel}-kernels !

--
      Ronald