DVD Install of F8T1 failed on Dell Inspiron 860

Ronald Warsow rwarsow at online.de
Sat Aug 18 19:26:47 UTC 2007

Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:05:09 +0200, you wrote:

> My Dell laptop has run various versions of Fedora since purchased in
> July of 2004 and F8t1 is the only one to have caused any troubles.
>
> An upgrade from F7 to devel via yum gives a system that will not boot
> with the devel kernels, but still works fine with the F7 kernel.

so that excludes the kernel changes FC6 => F7 (irc kernel 2.6.21 => 22),
esp. HD controller related stuff.

did you compare the initrd's from F7 and rawhide:
- copy them to separate dir and run on each
- zcat initrd-...-bla |cpio -di
- compare, esp. the file init

maybe a handmade vanilla kernel (kernel.org) could help.
[ even though i can't imagine that there are any anti-dell-option in
F-kernels ]

kernel compile and stuff:
http://www.kroah.com/lkn/
chap. 4