sound problems with latest updates in f8test

stan eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net
Sat Aug 18 20:38:40 UTC 2007

dragoran wrote:

> On 8/18/07, *stan* <eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net
> <mailto:eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I have an application that opens the sound card.  With the latest
>     updates it will still open it as default device but can no longer open
>     it as plughw:0,0.  The error I get is
>     cannot open audio device "plughw:0,0" (Device or resource busy)
>
>     When I run powertop, I see that the driver has a lot of interrupts
>     even
>     though there is no sound running.
>     Top causes for wakeups:
>       43.9% (100.6)       <interrupt> : ohci_hcd:usb2, eth0
>       20.5% ( 46.9)       <interrupt> : ICE1724
>        9.6% ( 22.0)       <interrupt> : libata
>        6.4% ( 14.6)   at-spi-registry : schedule_timeout (process_timeout)
>        4.6% ( 10.5)                 X : do_setitimer (it_real_fn)
>        4.4% ( 10.0)   /usr/bin/sealer : schedule_timeout (process_timeout)
>
>     Perhaps this is normal, but given the device busy error above it makes
>     me suspicious that there is something wrong.
>
>     Sound plays normally using audio player, but it uses the default
>     device.  I notice that the usage drops by about half for ICE1724 when
>     the sound is playing.
>
>     I'll probably do a debug of this at some point and post any findings.
>

> that may be related to the pulse audio changes you have to use default
> to play sound with alsa.

That isn't good.  Default automatically runs the sound through dmix.
And it has a set frame rate of
48000.  Other rates are software resampled.  I want to avoid that and
only use the hardware sample rates
so that there is no resampling on the sound.

Is there a way to configure sound with pulse audio to avoid this, or do
I have to remove pulse audio in order to
get direct access to alsa?

Thanks.