Firefox performance sucks!

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 26 04:59:37 UTC 2007

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 20:51 -0600, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
>
>>> So what else can I test?
>> It sounds like you may have a DNS resolution problem. Might want to make
>> sure the DNS server you are using is the best you can. I actually have a
>> caching DNS server on my network, but even my ISPs is not that slow.
>
> Actually, I've done a little more testing and I copied ~/.mozilla to
> ~/.mozilla.org and all of a sudden firefox was running nicely again.
>
> A little more looking around (copying files from the old .mozilla to the
> new .mozilla I discover that something in my prefs.js file is causing
> the problem.
>
> I've been using (through various upgrades) this prefs.js we before
> firefox became the default in Fedora/Redhat so it appears there's
> something in there that it doesn't like.
>
> I'm now trying to figure out what it is.
Do you have ipv6 enabled ?  ifconfig...

Do you have cache settings {moz} set really large ?

If the problem is at all network based, then running wireshark, capture,
and then  trying to load the page gives the answer to:
- how long till the dns is requested /responds ?
- is it waiting for ipv6 results ?
- which sites is it actually getting connected to:
- is that site fast.

DaveT.