Kernel-2.6.23-0.142.rc3.git10.fc8 fails grub

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 28 16:36:56 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 10:17:11 am Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 07:53 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > kernel-2.6.23-0.142.rc3.git10.fc8
> >
> > fails to load.  If you try to boot you will see
> > Setuproot:  error mounting /proc:  No such file or
> > directory
> > Setuproot:  error mounting /sys:  No such file or
> > directory
> > Unmounting old /dev: No such file or directory
> > Unmounting old /proc:  No such file or directory
> > Unmounting old /sys:  No such file or directory
> > Switchroot:  mount failed:   No such file or directory
> > Booting has failed.
>
> Yep, saw the above as well.  Maybe that kernel, or whatever is
> causing the problem is pulled and/or fixed rather quickly.

$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.23-0.142.rc3.git10.fc8 #1 SMP Mon
Aug 27 19:04:11 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
  (Intel duo core 2.4Ghz, T61 laptop)

  It also properly updated grub.conf  When I (rarely) have an update
that doesn't, I manually edit grub.conf   When that's successful I
use 'yum remove' to uninstall to oldest kernel.

  But sometimes rawhide kernels fail to boot, so I have yum.conf set
to keep 4.   installonly_limit=4    If a new one doesn't boot I
use 'yum remove' an see if the next one boots.  Always has so far

--
    Tom Brinkman                       Corpus Christi, Texas