howto set up nat/masq using firewall configurator

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Wed Aug 29 21:34:39 UTC 2007

I installed on Fedora 8 beta 1 on my home server (since I needed to
re-install, and it no longer is needed for anything critical).
It mostly works, but I can't get the firewall configuration tool
to get to masquerading to work.

I have two ethernet interfaces: eth0 talks to my DSL modem,
and eth1 talks to my local network.  Computers on the local
network talk to the server, but not out to the network.

If nothing else, the text in the configuration tool is
less than clear.  It says "Mark the interfaces for masquarading."
I would *guess* that to mean "select the (local) network devices
which will be masqueraded through the public network device."
But it could mean "select the public network device" or "select
both".

For now I'm using an external wireless router, so I have a
work-around.  But of course this needs to work, and the
GUI instructions need to be clearer.
--
	--Per Bothner