I miss usb just working

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Aug 30 12:07:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 08:52 +0100, Christopher Brown wrote:
> On 30/08/2007, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
>         A while ago, I could plug in a mouse and it would 'Just
>         Work'.  Now, I
>         can spend all day plugging in a mouse and it might work, but
>         not often
>         enough to bother unplugging and plugging until it decides to
>         work.
>
>         What gives?
>
> Wave a dead chicken over it?
>
> Seriously, is this another $PROGRAM_OR_PERIPHERAL sucks! thread? Do
> you realise that if USB wasn't working for people there would be
> plenty of noise about it? You need to understand that for the majority
> USB _is_ working and so if you want any kind of sane answer then some
> diagnostics would help.

I'm hoping it isn't.

However, it's my experience that if I've got my USB stuff plugged in
when I boot the system it does just work.  It's only when I plug it in
after starting the system (and more than likely after a suspend/resume).

I'm using a laptop and I rarely plug in a mouse and very rarely plug in
a USB drive.  Most other people I know that I've set up to use fedora
most likely aren't running regular updates (so this issue isn't likely
to be an issue) or they have desktops where everything is just plugged
in all the time (so this isn't going to bite them).  While this isn't a
huge sample size, it's not that hard to imagine either of these two
scenarios for the vast number of fedora users.

It seems to be a hot plug related issue.  And it affect both my and my
wife's laptop (both from Dell).

R.

 It's much better on my side"