Latest updates broke my system (URGENT)

Antonio M antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 23:11:01 UTC 2007

2007/12/12, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>:
> Antonio M wrote:
> > After latest updates (including Xserver, kernel, selinux policyof my
> > server, I set Selinux to enforced (immediately after updates) and I
> > couldn't log in graphically, I get the message the login was too
> > short, some errors in Xlof file saying that daemon hald (not sure
> > about it, maybe some bus, I am not sitting at the computer now....) is
> > not started
> >
> > How do I recover my server????
> >

> My first thought was somewhat similar to David's suggestion.
>
> Rawhide is not for doing stuff that's important to oneself; if it
> breaks, fixing it's your own problem, and it may be difficult and it may
> be annoying, but it's not urgent.
>
> It seems to me Antonio, that you ask rather a lot of questions. I don't
> mind that so much, but I really think that you could resolve some of
> these problems yourself.
>
> You should read the relevant documentation; if (as is likely on rawhide)
> the documentation doesn't relate directly to the version you're running,
> use the latest you can find.
>
> Ask google
>
> Try things. Your rawhide system isn't important, so breaking it doesn't
> matter.
>
> Describe exactly what you did, what messages you see (cut and paste if
> at all possible), and what you have tried.
>
> Your question really is too vague for anyone to help except by a lucky
> guess.
>

> Read the three documents referenced in my sig.
>
> Note:
> In your question, you said, "I set Selinux to enforced "
>
> Shrek-m said, "i use  'selinux=permissive.'"
>
> You then ask, "how do I boot in permissive mode????"
> Really!!
>
> Nobody here's your slave. It's time you learned to make a decent effort
> yourself, before asking such questions. I'm sure I've seen it in selinux
> documents, in mailing lists and in other places.
>

> --
>
> Cheers
> John
>
> -- spambait
> 1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu  Z1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu
> -- Advice
> http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> You cannot reply off-list:-)
>
> --

John

I think that I was the first incurring in these problems this morning
as I run the updates at 5.30 this morning European time, so I put
URGENT in the title to raise attention to other people.
The reaction was : please do not write URGENT, next time I will not
write any message, for sure, especially at 5.30 am!!!!

Good night
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag