Proper testing guide.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Thu Dec 13 12:01:12 UTC 2007

I've noticed that we need to have a proper testing
guide for new users.

( example.. system-config-display how and what's needed in reporting. )

There is a draft on wiki that is far from complete..
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/TestingGuide?action=show

We just need to join forces and finish writing that guide.

Would guess the guide needs some thing like this..

Starting with useful overall info.

Then go to...

How to build a test machine(s )

Installation server for test images..
Dual boot/Triple boot xen/qemu ( Actual vs Virtual ) etc...

When thats finished to actual testing...

Starting with install faze to various setup.
Testing all install methods FTP/NFS/HTTP etc..
Package selection Gnome/KDE/ALL/Minimum/Misc etc..
Selinux Disabled/Permissive/Enabled...

Normal usage testing
Abuse usage testing ( open 300 tabs in firefox, crash X 100
times,various scripts to abuse usage.. etc... )
Load checking..

 From there to bug reporting...

Minimal ( something that should always be reported  )
Prober ( using strace turning on/up debug mode etc )
or just have proper bug reporting from start..

Bug days/hunting, working with developers..

Testing with livna/rpmforge/atrpms/rpmfusion etc.. packages.

To general discussion, improvements etc..

Feedback yes please...

Best regards
          Johann B.