how to use text mode during installation part 2?

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 02:29:43 UTC 2007

On Dec 16, 2007 9:17 PM, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> Fulko Hew wrote:

> >> Try booting to runlevel 3
> >> I've not tried it, but you should
> >

> > Thanks, this worked wonderfully,
> > He's up and running now.
> > (I didn't know this mode/technique existed.)
>

> well, if you didn't know about runlevel 3 then you have a serious amount
> of reading to do:-)

I've known about run level 3 for about 25 years now,  :-)
what I didn't know was that there were text mode
versions of what Fedora executes post install.

> Then there's the question of how first boot would run if you didn't
> install any graphics components. Seemed to me that
> 1. It should work
> 2. It would start then compain/fail from the lack of graphics support
> 3. It would not start at all.

Graphics stuff was installed.  Actually, whatever the  'live CD'
installs was installed.  You don't get to choose the packages.

The problem is/was:

Now that X attempts to pick the best resolution for the video
card/monitor...
what happens when it picks wrong?  Thats whats happening in his case.
His GUI was unreadable, so he couldn't proceed.

Obviously, the first is most desirable, so why not try it? What's to