Fedora Unity Re-Spin

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 20 05:48:02 UTC 2007

Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> John Poelstra wrote:
>>>>

>>> What hoops?  It was easy :)
>>
>> I am sure it was but public access is going to be the easiest. I am
>> not sure limiting access is necessary here.
>>
>> Rahul
>>

> Well our rule is "we do not release crap to the public." If we open the
> downloads of our Re-Spins with out testing perhaps one might suggest
> "Why test them at all?" As it is we have about 40 people signed up as
> testers, of those only 4 or 5 have ever given us any feedback.
>
> If we drop testing all together and a Re-Spin is released with some
> glaring bugs it would be a black eye on Unity's Re-Spin project and also
> on Fedora in general IMO. It is bad enough when bugs slip through
> unreported in the official releases.

Other projects, Fedora included, have an open beta program. What makes
you different?

Anyone who wants to run the latest Ubuntu can get it thusly:
rsync --times --partial --perms --copy-links --times
--block-size=$((6*1024)) --stats
rsync://cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimage/kubuntu/daily/current/*i386*.iso

I'm sure it often doesn't install; getting it is really easy.

So is getting rawhide - my IAP mirrors it (just as well too, I say).

Getting Debian's bleeding edge is simple too.

What is so hard about saying, "This is likely crap. Take it or leave it?"

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait