is it an opensource workstation

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Mon Feb 5 06:08:14 UTC 2007

george2 at spanmail.net wrote:
> Mr. Keating,
>   I wonder if, without a compiler is it open source any more?  Fedora supports a hundred languages but the c compiler ties almost all 'open source' efforts to a common human effort across many versions of Unix.
>
>   Doesn't such a spin just become like a commercial distribution of compiled binaries?

No. That's ridiculous. All of the source, development tools and
libraries are freely available, just as always. It's all just a simple
'yum' command away.
>   Without a compiler I cannot bring in the smallest CPAN Perl module, or bring in the source to personalize my use of an application, or to be curious to experiment on my own.

I think you're confused. We're still shipping a compiler, just like
always. It's just not on the Desktop CD set. If you want the development
tools, you can:

A) install them with a single, simple command after installing from the
Desktop spin, or
B) install the distribution over the network, and choose whatever
packages you like, or
C) build your own CD/DVD set that includes whatever packages you want.

The only thing that's changed is what's on the CDs by default. It's no
less open source, we're not taking anything away from you at all.

In fact, there's even more choices than before - you can choose to make
your own CD set which includes all kinds of things from Extras that we
never shipped before.

So, yes. It is an open source workstation.

-w