What is the fascination with 'spins'

dragoran drago01 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 08:39:11 UTC 2007

monty19@ hotmail.com wrote:
> I like having just one CD, with the vast majority of what I want to
> install.  It takes me a few minutes tops to download what I want from
> Extras now, versus the many times that it took to install the
> developer packages I wanted with F7T1...
there should be a everything set (2 DVDs) for people that prefer it and
want to install it on many systems. the only problem could be mirros but
it can be shipped as a bittorent only download.
And fedora should stop to really on a broadband internet connection. It
should be able to be installed without network access [1]. And software
should be able to be installed from the media afterwards, even for new
users [2].
We had this before moving to yum/pirut so its a regession that should be
fixed, I would even consider this as a blocker.

1:
Its only possible if you only want the packages that are on the spin
that you have downloaded.

2:
I know that its possible to create custom local repos and/or use a dvd
as a repo.
But try to tell this a new user coming from windows...
What would he do? Either go to an other distro or even worse back to
windows.