fedora-test-list Digest

tsimi at speakeasy.net tsimi at speakeasy.net
Mon Feb 5 18:24:13 UTC 2007

> Message: 9
> Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 10:55:37 -0600
> From: Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
> Subject: Re: What is the fascination with 'spins'
> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
>
> Once upon a time, monty19@ hotmail.com <monty19 at hotmail.com> said:
> > But the question I asked before that still hasn't been answered, is how big
> > is Extras right now?  It looks (probably quite desceptively) relatively
> > small when looking at the directory on download.fedora.redhat.com.  Does
> > the sum total for Core and Extras really add up to more than the 4.7 GB
> > that a DVD would provide?  Do you really even need two DVD images to get a
> > complete install?
>
> $ du -sh core/development/i386/os/ extras/development/i386/
> 3.6G    core/development/i386/os/
> 4.7G    extras/development/i386/
>
> I'm in the "don't like lots of spins" camp (I don't want to have to burn
> a Desktop DVD, a KDE DVD, a Developer DVD, and a Server DVD just to
> avoid burning a 2-DVD "full" set), but I also see the issue with an
> explosion of CDs.
>
> However: who says CDs and DVDs have to be the same "spins"?  Have a
> "desktop" slimmed-down CD spin as the CD set and a "full" spin as the
> DVD set.
>
> --
> Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.
>
> Hi,

For what it's worth, I'm not a developer, but I manage a few servers and use fedora an my sole desktop.  On my desktop I run several services like ssh. apache, ftp, and starting to run NX to manage the servers at work. And, I would prefer the server spin.

I don't mind multiple DVD's.  I use rewriteable DVD's and keep the current and previos releases on hand.

I myself would prefer a DVD(s) with everything on it, that was selectable at install time.  I don't know everything that is in extras and happen to stuble across something once in awhile that really helps.  But, without a menu at install time like the core items I don't know about them.  And it's not easy ( time consuming ) to go though the extras menu and selecting each item one by one, when I could have a menu by program type listing the program with a breif desctiption and just check them off to be installed ay install time.

I guess I wouldn't mine the way FC6 was designed if it worked.

Thanks,
Just one users POV.

Todd

I tried using the selection od extras in FC6, but the install always blew up when ever I tried.